Thursday, February 19, 2009

We're going to the big "D"...and I do mean "Dallas"

We are headed to Dallas tomorrow to visit Scott's family there. It is our first long trip as a family of 5. It's normally a 9 hour drive, but with 3 kids it will probably be more like 11 or 12! I have been getting things together all week and packing like crazy today. I am not so much worried about Paige and Annalee travelling. They are old enough to stay pretty content with several activities, books, snacks, and movies of course! Davis will probably have the hardest time. He will travel ok initially, but when we get out and then have to put him back in the carseat...well, my prediciton is that he will not be so happy! The girls will also have some handy pull-ups on as well. They are both potty trained and have been for some time, but when someone says "I need to go potty!" and we are 30 miles from an exit...the pull-up will be my best friend! So, if you think about it, you can pray for us as we travel. We will let you know how it all turns out in a few days!!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

have fun on your trip. We just made a 23 hour drive to Denver. It went very well. My one suggestion would be to take a timer with you. As time passes and they get bored with being in the car they get bored much quicker with the activites. So every 5 minutes they want something different. (I have learned this from years of traveling 5 hours to see John's mom). So I take a timer with me and tell them that we are going to practice self control. I tell them that they can pick the activity but that they will stick with the activity that they pick for 20-30 minutes - you decided based on the child. I tell them if they decided that they don't want to contiue with the activity then their only option is to quietly look out the window until the timer goes off. It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. You may not need it at first. Usually it comes in handy when the bordom of riding kicks in and they are just restless.
We also decided to stop every 2.5 hours regardless. To go to the bathroom, get a snack or eat a meal and to run around. We stopped at a mall once and just told the boys to run.
These are just tips that have helped us....take them or leave them.
Have fun!!!!

Danny and Jennifer White said...

Have fun.Think of all the great family time you will have.Even if it gets crazy!!!!

Laura said...

thank you for your sweet comment. I am sure that it is/was just as hard on you as on me. This year was the first that I actually re-thought the actual-ness.

Donna said...

Hope traveling went okay- Paige's party is so cute. I would have never thought of Lowe's- that's a great idea and a great "favor" to take home!