Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My (Scott's) Grandmother




I wanted to share this story about my third parent...my grandmother. As some of you know, my Grandmother was put in the hospital this past Saturday on the verge of dying. She has cancer and has battled it for the last few years. It's been a long journey and she has overcome a great deal of things in the process. However, this past weekend took a turn for the worse and my aunt told us on Saturday if you want to see her alive, you need to come down here. I made quick arrangements but she was actually doing much better when we arrived. She will be flying out to Dallas tomorrow on air ambulance and will be taken care of by my mom and brother in a nursing facility. The best part of this trip was my grandmother and I got some really great one on one time together where we talked about her eternal destiny. Over the past year she has really gotten involved with watching, reading, and giving to Billy Graham's ministries which I guess has been my answered prayer for someone to share with her frequently. Well Sunday night, we began to talk and I told her I wanted her to understand that salvation is of the Lord and through Him alone. As we talked about grace and I relived many conversation from the past, I saw something different. For the first time in all my conversations, we weren't defensive or argumentative and she revealed what I saw as a heart that is different. She talked about repentance of her sins and her need for redemption things that she had nerve spoken of before. She said, "I know that the good Lord has died and paid for my sins and that's how I am going to get to heaven." For me it was the first sign of the longest prayer I have ever petitioned. I continue to trust God's working in her life even as it comes to an end. The next day we sat and watched the Gaither music hour (which I do not enjoy for the most part) and she began to say to me. "Scott, you know sometimes I have called you fanatical and a little to religious. But I know no you were just doing what the Good Lord has called you to do. He wants you to share the good news with others and that's all you were doing." I almost fell out. This is the same woman who said I was crazy for going over seas to Kazakhstan and though Beach project was a waste of time. I don't believe that my grandmother has found Jesus, but it's clear He has found her and is changing her heart!!! So for all of you over the last 13 years who have prayed for me, my family and my grandmother...thanks. Scott Parks

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Annie, This is a precious story...it brought tears to my eyes.

Donna said...

Praise the Lord Annie! What peace that must bring to your heart.

Ben, Katie, and Campbell said...

Boy, Scott, how tremendous! What a faithful God we serve. And how faithful His servant in you for continually praying for your grandmother for so long without getting discouraged. I am so happy to hear the things she has said to you. It is clear that the Holy Spirit has been working on her heart. Those statements would not have come out of her mouth had He not. Praise God.

--Shelley said...

that is so awesome scott. i am glad you got to go and have those conversations with her. sounds to me like she does know Him.

Anonymous said...

Praise God, Brother! Praise God!

Jay