Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sensitivity

I went to pick Paige up from school yesterday, and her teacher pulled me aside to tell me something Paige had done that she'd forgotten to mention. As many of you know, Paige attends a preschool that has 6 autistic children and 6 neurotypical children to each class. Well, Paige was playing dress-up with a friend of hers who is also neurotypical. The teacher was sitting with one of the autistic girls, who is non-verbal, working with her across the room. Paige walked over to the teacher with a dress in her hand and said "Mrs. Holly, don't you think this little girl would want to play dress-up too?" Her teacher said that she and the other teacher all but burst into tears and said "Yes, Paige, I think she would LOVE it!". She said they ended up dressing up the whole class and taking pictures and had a really good time.
I love how tender and sensitive her heart is. We want to nurture the strengths and weaknesses God has graced our children with. We know that they are very different and very special all in the same. Sometimes Paige is a little oversensitive and we have to just work with her thru that, but her sensitivity and compassion is also what prompts her to seek out others. I was a little leary about her going to this particular school, but I like the fact that it helps us and her, as we teach her to not discriminate against others differences, whether it's speech, race, education..etc. The Lord has given me much grace as I parent these little ones throughout the day, and for that I am thankful. He glorifies Himself thru my children in situations like this, because it shows me that there is nothing in and of myself that could shape her heart the way He does!

3 comments:

--Shelley said...

how could she not be sensitive with two of the most sensitive and caring and non-judgemental parents!

Amy said...

Annie there is a book I just bought this week and LOVE it. Nurture by nature. It helps you determine your child's personality from myers brigg test. We could tell both of the boys right off the bat. (Probably not most 2 year olds but brady has an extreme personality) I am going to blog about it soon. I recommend it with caution. 1. we can't put our children in a box. this is just for principle and insight which has been AMAZING for me especially with Jake who is a feeler living in a house full of exteme thinkers. 2. no personality is exempt from the need of discipline and development. Every child must learn to die to self to be productive in the Kingdom so we have to learn how to encourage and develop them while also breaking their flesh and dealing with their sins.
Sorry so long but I want to recommend the book but I don't want people to think that I agree with all that it says. Just an insightful resource. Anyway, I was encouraged by Paige's story. Maybe we can bounce of ideas because Jake is a feeler to.

Laura said...

She is so precious! I know you both are super proud!