Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Baby Lab

A friend of ours is a professor at the University of South Alabama Physical Therapy Department. I was asked to bring Paige and Annalee in so the students could practice on them as they learn to assess their normal development and see what they could or couldn't do. I was a little nervous because Annalee is not totally walking on her own and I didn't want anybody to think she was developmentally delayed or something (even though I know she's fine!). So, we get in there and I sat with Annalee and Paige went with a few other students very willingly! Annalee did great, and performed all her tricks for them. In the meantime I have no idea what my little Paige is up to in the other room! They were trying to get her to kick a ball. Now, can Paige kick a ball? Absolutely. We kick the soccer ball around almost every day. But, do you think she kicked the ball! No. She acted like they were speaking a foreign language to her! She kept picking it up and throwing it instead. So, I finally get her to kick the ball so that these students don't think that this is the first time she's ever laid eyes on a ball! Some of the other things they asked her to do, she didn't do right because I don't necessarily let her. Like stand on top of a step stool and jump off. I don't let her just jump off of things, so she naturally held on to the table and stepped down politely. I was partly proud of that, cause really she's just obeying what I tell her to do! Going up and down stairs is another thing. We don't have stairs in our house, so when we're around alot of steps I like her to hold my hand when proceeding up and down things. To sum it up, I think they did fine, but I find myself wanting my kids to do the best. I attribute that to my own competitive nature! However, I think I'll always believe that they are the cutest and the smartest no matter what! I'm a little biased you know. The baby lab is over so now I think I'll go outside with Paige and kick that flippin' soccer ball!

1 comment:

Ben, Katie, and Campbell said...

Geez, I would totally be the same way. I would be bummed if Campbell wasn't doing something I knew she could. I would want her to show off the stuff she could do. But Paige and Annalee ARE the cutest! Well now I guess they are tied for 2nd cutest, and will only drop in rank when we have another! :)