Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The boy can speak...

One of the autistic students in the class next to mine spoke today for the first time I am aware of. His teacher says it has happened before but I had never heard him. I had some SI (sensory Integration) items like large Koosh balls, fiber optic lights and Flarp (putty that farts when you push it into the container...seriously) and we had been playing with them and dancing around the clas. After a while I sat down with him and another student and were doing a color identifying activity on the computer. A minute later he looked and me and said, "i like that." In shock I said, "did any one hear that?" The others in the room didn't believe me and tried to beckon him to speak again. A few minutes later after the drama had died down, he said it again, this time loud enough that one of the other adults heard him. Now she had worked with this student for 3 years and said she had never heard him talk. I think that's pretty cool. 3 years...2 sentences... yeah were patient people.

1 comment:

--Shelley said...

That makes me cry it is so sweet and such an accomplishment. Keep it up, Scott. Just like Mrs. Becky said.