Monday, February 22, 2010

A bit of a scare

This is Annalee at our local community center's mardi gras parade that ended up being inside due to the snow! Isn't she a doll?



Something happened last night that was so scary for Scott and I! We ended our community group and after everyone left, we put the kids down and sat down for a little R&R. A little while later we hear these gut-wrenching screams from the girls in their room. Scott ran back there and immediately screamed for me. I ran back there only to see a dresser toppled over and not really seeing both girls at first! I finally saw that everyone was out of the way of the dresser. Paige told me that Annalee had pulled all the drawers out and Paige was trying to push them back in. The dresser was obviously top/front heavy and fell over. Paige somehow got out of the way and had only a bruise on her thigh. After assessing everyone for injuries and seeing that everyone was good, we moved on to talking/disciplining. We proceeded to explain that their room is safe as long as they follow the rules set out. But, if you disobey, that safe place can turn very dangerous very quickly! We explained again that is why we tell them they should stay in their beds. Because we know what's best for them! It's not to be a mean strict mommy and daddy. It's because we have their very best interest at heart!
That whole experience was oh so scary. My heart was in my stomach. That could have easily killed one of them! It made us once again appreciate the gift of our children. We sat down to talk after we put them back to bed, AGAIN:) Scott said, "Why don't they just trust us?". That question just made me think about my own relationship with the Lord. I bet that's what He says of me all the time! "Why won't she just trust Me!" He knows what's best for me. He ALWAYS has my very best interest at heart! And yet time and time again, I find myself pulling things on top of myself! It's very gracious of the Lord to show me how I fall short in my own life, so I can compassionately parent my children. I can tell them, just like He can tell me, that I understand! I can share with them, that mommy is not perfect, and I do not have it all figured out! But He is and He does! I am sinful, and wretched, and saved and covered by His grace alone! I can say from experience that they need Jesus, just like I do! I believe that it is important that your children see you struggle at times. Because I want to be the one to show them where to turn! They need to see that modeled before them.
What a precious Father we serve! He finds it sufficient to show us Himself in the lives of our very own children! I am thankful that my girls are just fine. And, I am grateful to see the Lord more clearly through it all.

1 comment:

Demetrius and Amy said...

that is scary. what a great perspective on how it relates to our relationship with our Father. so true. and isn't it good to be reminded how precious their little lives are to us?

oh, and that happened with us except jayden was hanging out in our room with us and climbed on the bottom drawer so that he could reach up and hang from the top drawer. demetrius was walking out of the room as i gasped and caught the dresser from falling on him. he was my hero that day for sure:)